Congrats on being asked to be a maid of honor! This is a big deal — the maid of honor is critically important to the wedding. Think of yourself as the bride’s right hand woman. She will depend on you for several tasks, including planning the bachelorette party, making sure the bridesmaids dresses get ordered, leading the bridal party, and lots more. Want to make your reign as maid of honor a smooth one? We’ve got timely tips for you.
- Get on the same page as the bride. Does the bride want you to help hold her hand throughout the planning process, or just to be a sympathetic ear? What specific tasks does she have in mind for you? This requires a long heart-to-heart about her thoughts and wishes for her big day. Make sure you fully understand what is expected of you, and keep the lines of communication open throughout the wedding planning process.
- Make a checklist. After you have talked things out with the bride-to-be, make a checklist that you two can share with your duties and anything else that needs to be added to it for her peace of mind. This will give you both some clarity leading up to the big event and make sure that no detail is forgotten.
- Be her calm in the storm. Even if the bride is known to be cool and collected, wedding planning is a stressful business. She will undoubtedly need your shoulder to cry on, your jokes to laugh at, and your ear to listen to her with sympathy. Reassure her that everything is covered.
- Be the point person. Let the other members of the bridal party come to you with questions or concerns to keep that weight off the bride-to-be.
- Take lots of behind-the-scenes photographs. As maid of honor, you have access to every facet of the wedding and wedding party. Funny photos are especially appreciated.
- Write the speech to end all speeches. When you’re drafting your maid-of-honor speech, keep the focus on the couple (no embarrassing stories, please!), keep it light and hopeful, and end on a sweet and funny note. The happy couple will adore you for it.
- Burn up the dance floor. If the maid of honor is having fun, the other guests are sure to follow. Take the lead on the dance floor — bring the best man with you! — and show everyone how to have a good time.
- Take care of post-wedding tasks. Returning the tux and other rented accessories, making sure the wedding dress is properly stored, there are several errands you can run for the couple while they’re on their honeymoon. Discuss this with them prior to the ceremony and find out what tasks you can take off their plate.